We all have our Joneses. No matter how much you earn or what you have, there’s always someone who has more. They’ll have nicer clothes than you and send their kids to better schools. They’ll have better parties and seem happier than most. However, you will be surprised to find that the Joneses are often living beyond their means, and the image we have of them is no more than an illusion.
We have all been there, but it’s important to realise the mistake and avoid falling in the same trap. An article on Fox Business gives the following tips on how to deals with the Joneses in your life:
- Don’t compare yourself to others. You don’t know their full story and it’s highly possible that your Joneses are spending more than they can afford.
- Live within your means. Always spend less than you earn and keep track of your spending.
- Eliminate the pitfalls. If you can’t stop spending, cut up your credit cards or ask your spouse to do it.
- Commit to your own financial well-being, no one is going to do it for you. Take action now and you will be sure to reap the rewards.
- Find value in yourself and your relationships. Put greater focus on your family and friends. That’s where the real value is.
Remember, the Joneses will always be there, and the only way to win against them is not to play the game to begin with.